Lower Edmonton & Edmonton Green

This is the first of a two-part article by Stephen Gilburt which appeared in newsletter 220, Winter 2020. The second part, covering the history after 1914, will be published in 2021. The name of the manor of Edmonton appears as Delmetone or Adelmetone (Eadhelm’s Farm) in the Domesday Book of… Continue reading

Southgate Green

This article by Stephen Gilburt was first published by The Enfield Society in newsletter 219, Autumn 2020. The name Southgate is first found in 1370 and refers to the south gate of Enfield Chase. This was a hunting ground from 1138, owned in turn by the de Mandeville and de… Continue reading

Enfield’s lost past

This article was the first in a long series by Stephen Gilburt to be published by The Enfield Society in its quarterly newsletter, this one appearing in issue 172, Winter 2008, and shows some of the buildings in and around Enfield Town which have been demolished over the past 50… Continue reading

Forty Hall

This article by Stephen Gilburt was first published by The Enfield Society in newsletter 173, Spring 2009. Forty Hall was built between 1629 and 1633 for Sir Nicholas Rainton (or Raynton), who was Lord Mayor of London in 1632. Forty Hall was owned by members of the Meyer family from… Continue reading