Enfield’s lost past

This article was the first in a long series by Stephen Gilburt to be published by The Enfield Society in its quarterly newsletter, this one appearing in issue 172, Winter 2008, and shows some of the buildings in and around Enfield Town which have been demolished over the past 50… Continue reading

Forty Hall

This article by Stephen Gilburt was first published by The Enfield Society in newsletter 173, Spring 2009. Forty Hall was built between 1629 and 1633 for Sir Nicholas Rainton (or Raynton), who was Lord Mayor of London in 1632. Forty Hall was owned by members of the Meyer family from… Continue reading