• Coronavirus

    For the latest impact on the Society's activities, please check here. [Last updated Fri 3rd April]

Enfield’s lost past

This article was the first in a long series by Stephen Gilburt to be published by The Enfield Society in its quarterly newsletter, this one appearing in issue 172, Winter 2008, and shows some of the buildings in and around Enfield Town which have been demolished over the past 50 years.

Illustration 1. These early 19th century former farm cottages in Cecil Road later became Laing’s garage before being demolished in 1979 for the Palace Gardens shopping precinct.
Illustration 2. The 1924 Enfield Arms in Genotin Road in 2003 shortly before the new one-way system was introduced.
Illustration 3. Christ Church manse in Chase Side was built for the minister and his family in 1887. It was replaced by a care home in 1995.
Illustration 4. Emmanuel Baptist Church of 1852 in Baker Street in 1970. The church itself was demolished in 1977 and the hall behind it now belongs to Enfield Evangelical Free Church.
Illustration 5. Viewed from Chase Side, the former workhouse built in 1826, on the site of an earlier building. later became St Michael’s Hospital. It was demolished in 1995 following a fire and blocks of flats were built on part of the site.
Illustration 6. The Queen’s Hall cinema of 1911 was reopened in 1947 as the Florida and, after closure in 1976, was converted into the Townhouse nightclub. It is shown as it was in 2003 before Genotin Road was extended.
Illustration 7. Fir Tree House in Silver Street was built to replace a Georgian house after the First World War. It was pulled down for the extension to the Civic Centre which was opened in 1975. The decorative iron gate and railings in front of Fir Tree House were re-used to form an entrance to St Andrew’s churchyard at the suggestion of the Enfield Preservation Society.
Illustration 8. Early 19th century cottages in Church Lane shortly before their removal for the Council’s proposed ring road scheme. This was rejected by the government Minister of Housing in 1967 after a campaign led by the Enfield Preservation Society.
Illustration 9. The former Chase Side Chapel, rebuilt in 1830, was demolished in 1963. Behind is Christ Church United Reformed Church, opened in 1875 on the site of Zion Chapel.
Illustration 10. The Cecil Cafe in Cecil Road in 1969. The site is now part of the Palace Exchange shopping precinct.
Illustration 11. The old Enfield Gas Company offices of 1897 and 1906 in Sydney Road being demolished in 1969. The site is now part of the Palace Exchange shopping precinct.
Illustration 12. The 300 year old farm bothy in Gentleman’s Row was replaced in 1970 by a neo-Georgian house.
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.