This article by Stephen Gilburt was first published by The Enfield Society in newsletter 180, Autumn 2010.
There has been a mill at Ponders End for 900 years and the present
mill, owned by members of the Wright family since 1867, is Enfield’s
oldest working industrial building. The old mill, two houses and a
barn are listed Grade II for their group value and together with the
water meadows form the Ponders End Flour Mills Conservation Area.
The buildings can be reached by buses 191, 313 and 491 and may be
seen from the footbridge at Ponders End railway station or from Wharf
Road, but close public access is not now permitted.