• Coronavirus

    For the latest impact on the Society's activities, please check here. [Last updated Fri 3rd April]

Christ Church, Waterfall Road, Southgate

This article by Stephen Gilburt was first published by The Enfield Society in newsletter 179, Autumn 2010. Christ Church Southgate can be reached by buses 121, 298, 299 and W6, which all go to Southgate Green and bus 298 also passes the church.

Illustration 1. In 1615 the brewer, Sir John Weld, built a small wooden chapel in the grounds of his estate at Arnolds, west of Southgate Green. The Weld Chapel was enlarged and altered several times but remained a Chapel at Ease to All Saints Church, Edmonton (see newsletter 178, Summer 2010) until 1859, when Southgate became a separate parish. [Photo courtesy of Enfield Local Studies Library and Archive.]
Illustration 2. In 1861 work began on Christ Church, to a design by (Sir) George Gilbert Scott. This photograph shows the church under construction next to the Weld Chapel, which was demolished after the completion of Christ Church. [Photo courtesy of Enfield Local Studies Library and Archive.]
Illustration 3. Christ Church was consecrated in 1862. The church tower has an octagonal broach spire 180 feet high. Scott’s other works include St. Pancras Station Hotel and the Albert Memorial.
Illustration 4. The façade of this Victorian gothic revival church is made of Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings.
Illustration 5. A view of the nave looking east to the chancel in 1898. [Photo courtesy of Enfield Local Studies Library and Archive.]
Illustration 6. On the walls of the Lady Chapel are a fresco of the Annunciation and oil paintings on oiled paper of angels, the Virgin and Child, and stories of the childhood of Jesus by Percy Bacon and Bros., London, dated 1906.
Illustration 7. Windows on the north wall of the chancel, designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, depict Dorcas offering her cloak to a bare-headed girl and the Good Samaritan holding a flask to the mouth of the injured traveller lying on the ground.
Illustration 8. In the Lady Chapel there are windows showing the four gospel writers. The figure of St Matthew writing on a scroll, by William Morris, may be a self-portrait. The surround is by Philip Webb.
Illustration 9. Windows by Burne-Jones, on the wall of the north aisle, illustrate various Christian virtues. Temperance is shown emptying a wine jar, while Charity is looking after two needy children.
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.