• Coronavirus

    For the latest impact on the Society's activities, please check here. [Last updated Fri 3rd April]

All Saints Church, Church Street, Edmonton

This artcile by Stephen Gilburt was first published by The Enfield Society in newsletter 178, Summer 2010. All Saints is a Grade B (equivalent to II*) listed church. Buses W6 and W8 pass the church and Edmonton Green bus and railway stations are nearby.

Illustration 1. Fragments of the original 12th century church have been discovered, but the oldest visible external feature is the fine 15th century ragstone rubble tower, which has the only surviving medieval windows in the church.
Illustration 2. The chequerwork masonry around the east window is 15th century. The lower part of the chancel and north aisle were refaced in stock brick in 1772.
Illustration 3. A mid-19th century view from Church Street. [Picture courtesy of Enfield Local Studies & Archive.]
Illustration 4. The south aisle was added in 1889 when box pews and galleries were removed from the 15th century nave.
Illustration 5. The 15th century chancel with 19th century window and wall decoration. Under the chancel is a sealed-off crypt.
Illustration 6. Late 19th century paintings of Christian saints on the east wall of the chancel.
Illustration 7. On the north side of the chancel is the 15th century iron-clad vestry door. To the left is a 1615 memorial to George Huxley. The church also has memorials to John Keats and Charles Lamb, who lived nearby in the early 19th century. Charles Lamb was buried in the churchyard in 1834 (see newsletter 182, Summer 2011).
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.