This article by Stephen Gilburt was published by the Enfield Society in newsletter 218, Summer 2020. Part 2 is due to be published by The Society in August 2020 in the Autumn newsletter.
The Fox was originally a cottage at the end of Fox Lane in the former hamlet of Palmers Green. It was named after the Fox family who were farmers living in the area in the 14th century. It is first mentioned in a will of 1683 and the first landlord is recorded in 1716.
Between 1861 and 1967 the licensees were members of the Davey family. Robert Davey, who was the licensee from 1861, started a two-horse omnibus service from the Fox and on Sundays used a horse-drawn wagonette to provide a home delivery service of ale. His wife Belinda was the licensee from 1870. Their son Arthur, born at the Fox in 1867, was the licensee from 1891 and for 18 years from 1901 was an elected member of Southgate Urban District Council. After 1914 Arthur Davey and his son-in-law Leo Whalen were joint licensees until Arthur’s death in 1932.
Photographs are reproduced by courtesy of Enfield Local Studies & Archive.
Our AGM was originally planned for June but moved to this date due to coronavirus. We hope our speaker, Nick Dines, will still be available to address the meeting. Doors open 7.30pm. All members welcome. Our speaker this year will be Nick Dines, Managing Director Concilio, who will be talking...
Talk by Nick Dobson. The Sixties saw London cast off the gloom of the post-war years and transform into the bright, swinging centre of style and culture. This illustrated timeline will provide a reminder of that groovy, swinging decade!