The area known as Enfield Lock developed with the expansion of the Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) in 1854 when it formed a self-contained community with its own housing, school, church, police station and hotel. It was designated as a conservation area in 1976 but the RSAF site itself was excluded. It forms an important part of Enfield’s industrial history. The RSAF closed in 1988 and the island site has been developed for housing but several of the original buildings can still be seen, thanks to campaigns by the Enfield Society and other local groups. Includes a fold-out map.
Heritage walk 4: Enfield Lock. Enfield : The Enfield Society, 2015; 8 pages; 22cm. ISBN 978 0 907318 24 8