This road is essentially a product of the nineteen-thirties. The first houses were occupied in 1935. However, the section east of Churchbury Lane follows the alignment of the former drive to Churchbury Farm. The section west of Churchbury Lane was known as Brewhouse Lane in 1806 [EA]. (A brewery stood on the site of the western end of Canonbury Road.) After the building of Canonbury Road, Brewhouse Lane ceased to be of any importance as a link between Baker Street and Churchbury Lane and degenerated into a muddy cart track. In the nineteen-fifties it was known to Willow Estate residents as ‘the alleyway’. In 1966 after the building of houses, this section was made up and incorporated into Tenniswood Road.
Theobalds Park Road
So-called in 1806 [EA]. Theobalds Park is situated at the northern end of the road.
The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K].
Part of the Putney Lodge Estate, sold for building in 1867 [AC]. It was partly built by 1871 [Ce]. A Totteridge House, standing in the Hertford Road, appears on the 1867 0.S.
The present name was in use by 1754 [TM]. In 1572 it was known as Enfield Grene [S]. The former green was progressively encroached upon and now the only surviving remnant is the small paved area surrounding the fountain.
The first houses were occupied in 1907 [K]. It was originally known as St. James’ Road. Trinity College Cambridge are patrons of the living of Enfield.
The first houses were occupied in 1903 [K].
Called Tuttle Street on Morden’s Map of Middlesex (1695) and Tuckey Street on Cary’s Map of Middlesex (1789). In 1572 it was known by its present name [S].