St. Andrew’s Road
Part of the New River Estate. Plans for two villas were submitted in 1884 [RB 3.4.1884]. The 1896 O.S. shows houses on the west side of the road only. Enfield Parish Church is dedicated to St. Andrew.
St. George’s Road
Part of the Bridgenhall Estate. The road appears on an auctioneer’s plan of 1868. Plans for a pair of villas were submitted in 1886 [RB 30.6.1886].
St. James’ Road
This road is shown partly built on an auctioneer’s plan of 1881. The name probably derives from St. James’ Church in the Hertford Road.
St. Mark’s Road
The 1896 O.S. shows the road partly built. St. Mark’s Church was built in 1893.
St. Stephen’s Road
Part of the Prospect House Estate. In 1889 six houses under construction were found to have been built with bad mortar [RB 30.5.1889].
The first houses were occupied in 1903 [K].
A former name for the junction of Cattlegate Road and Theobalds Park Road. It appears on the 1867 0.S.
Part of the Chase Side Building Estate. The road appears on an auctioneer’s plan of 1900. It had been built by 1901 [K].
Marked on 1867 O.S. The name is probably an ironic allusion to its more prestigious namesake in W1.
Scotland Green Road
The name Scotland Green was in use by 1754 [TM]. There is also a Scotland Green in Tottenham. See also Ireland Green. In 1572 a road known as Cranes Lane ran northwards from South Street to Green Street [S].
The first houses were occupied in 1903 [K]. Seaford is a small town in Sussex near Newhaven.
The grounds of Shirley Lodge on Windmill Hill were sold for building in 1879 [AC]. Plans for houses were submitted in 1880 [RB 13.5.1880]. The road was made up in 1887 [RB 12.5.1887].
The 1754 Tithe Map and the 1806 Enclosure Award Map both show Silver Street as part of Baker Street. The name Silver Street was in use by 1826 (Pigot’s Directory). There is also a Silver Street in Edmonton. In 1572 Silver Street and the southern end of Baker Street went under the name of Parsonage Street [S].
Under construction in 1903. The first houses were occupied in 1904 [K]. Sketty is a suburb of Swansea.
Originally part of East Barnet Road. (See Enfield Road.) The present name was in use by 1874 [RB 15.5.1874]. A farmer called John Slade lived here in 1851 [Ce].
A water main was laid in 1889 [RB 19.9.1889]. The road is probably named after Soham, a small town in Cambridgeshire.
A row of cottages formerly situated to the north of South Street. They suffered from bad drainage and overcrowding [GBH].
So-called on Morden’s Map of Middlesex (1695). It was called South Street in 1572 [S].
Previously known as Nags Head Lane from the former public house of that name in Enfield Town. The Enfield Local Board of Health re-named it Southbury Road 18th August 1882. (The name Southbury derives from a neighbouring field.) A minority on the Local Board wanted to call it Great Eastern Road. Prior to enclosure (1806) the road existed as two small lanes, one from Ponders End, one from Enfield Town. The two halves were not linked until after enclosure. The Enfield Town end was usually known as Nags Head Lane but was sometimes called Oldbury Lane [AC1787]. The eastern end was known as Farm Lane [EA 1806]. In 1572 the western end was called Bury Lane [S].
The first houses were occupied in 1905 [K].
The name probably derives from a public house called the Bald Faced Stag in Cockfosters Road.
Plans for six cottages were submitted by the Standard Freehold Land Society in January 1886 [RB 29.1.1886]. Later the same year builders were caught mixing mortar with sand scraped from the road [RB 23.10.1886].
Part of the Moat House Estate bought by the Conservative Land Society C.1854. The 1867 0.S. shows the road laid out but no houses built. The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K]. Stanley is the family name of the Earls of Derby. The 14th Earl of Derby was prime minister 1852, 1858-9 and 1866-8. See also Burleigh Road and Queens Road.
A water main was laid in 1882 [RB 7.12.1882]. The name possibly derives from Henry Morton Stanley who shot to public prominence in the eighteen-seventies after his successful expedition to find David Livingstone in Africa.
Part of the Shirley Lodge Estate. Plans for two houses were submitted in 1880 [RB 15.7.1880]. The name reflects the proximity of the Great Northern Railway station on Windmill Hill. See also Shirley Road.
Part of the Woodlands Estate, developed from 1883. It was originally known as Wellington Road, but acquired its present name in 1911 [K].
So-called in 1754[TM]. It is called Stocking Lane on Morden’s Map of Middlesex (1695). Stocking was the name of a field which lay to the south of the road [TM].
So-called in 1806 [EA]. In 1572 it was known as Moorhatch Gate Street [S]. Moorhatch was a former gate to Enfield Chase.
Plans for one cottage were deposited in 1886 [RB 29.1.1886]. The Suez Canal was opened in 1869 and in 1875 a large block of shares in the concern were bought by the British government.
The first houses were occupied in 1909 [K].
Probably built in the early eighteen-nineties. The road appears on the 1896 O.S.
Laid out by 1906 [K]. No houses were built until after World War I. See also Aberdare Road, Brecon Road and Glyn Road. SWIN’S ROW A row of cottages formerly standing off the west side of the Hertford Road north of the Bell [GBH].
The bulk of the road was laid out in 1853 as part of the Enfield New Town Development. (See Cecil Road.) The section adjoining the Town is rather older. It was known as Slaughterhouse Lane in 1850 [GBH]. A turning on the east side leading to the former Enfield Gas works (opened 1850) was known as Gas House Lane [RB 3.11.1865].