So-called in 1754 [TM]. It was alternatively known as Pentrich Lane [RB 6.12.1867]. Painters is almost certainly a corruption of Pentrich. The name Pentrich derives from the former Manor of Honylands and Pentriches.
Partly built by 1899 [K]. The name derives from the former Manor House (mis-named the Palace) on whose grounds it was built.
This was listed as a private road in the Enfield Enclosure Award of 1806. It has been known by a great variety of names. The plan for the Old Road diversion (C.1830) shows it as Troll’s Lane. In the 1851 Census it is called Old Red Lyon Lane. However in the General Board of Health report on Enfield (1850) it is called White Lion Lane. Both these names are derived from former public houses in Old Road. In 1873 it was known as Hall Lane [RB 14.2.1873]. This name is probably connected with Hall’s Farm which was listed in Old Road in the 1871 Census.
A former name for the junction of Green Dragon Lane and Worlds End Lane. It appears on the Enfield Chase Enclosure Map of 1777 and the 1867 0.S. The name is clearly drawn from the adjacent Old Park Estate.
The first houses were occupied in 1914 [K]. The name is probably derived from the nearby Town Park, bought by Enfield U.D.C. in 1901.
Plans for one cottage were submitted in 1890 [RB 14.1.1890].
So-called in 1754 [TM]. The name is probably connected with the former Rectory (or Parsonage) Manor House which stood at the junction with Baker Street. It was sometimes known as Parson’s Lane [AC 1773]. It was known by its present name in 1572 [S].
Part of the Salisbury Estate. Plans for nine houses were submitted in July 1885 [RB 30.7.1885] followed a month later by plans for seven shops [RB 14.8.1885].
Phipps Hatch Lane
The name recalls a former gate to Enfield Chase.
A group of cottages formerly situated off Clay Hill [RB 11.12.1881]. The name was clearly connected with either Little Pipers or Great Pipers (now Bramley House).
A group of highly insanitary cottages situated off the Hertford Road opposite St. James’ Church. The drains had the unfortunate habit of overflowing on to the pavement [RB 15.12.1876]. The name derived from a nearby public house. It was also known as St. Patrick’s Terrace [RB 2.7.1885]. This is probably the same place as Patrick’s Row [GBH 1850]. The cottages were copyhold of the Manor of Enfield. In 1839 they were owned by one Charlotte Patrick.
A former name for the junction of Windmill Hill and the Ridgeway. It appears on the Enfield Chase Enclosure Map of 1777.
The first houses were occupied in 1902 [K]. It was named after Sir Edward Poynter (1836-1919) a distinguished painter and president of the Royal Academy. See also Leighton Road, Landseer Road and Millais Road.
This road was built in two halves. The Baker Street end was probably built in the early eighteen-sixties and was marked on the 1867 O.S. as Canton Road. The Lavender Road end, called Primrose Avenue, was built as part of the Birkbeck Estate. Plans for a cottage were submitted in 1881 [RB 6.1.1881].
Part of the Bush Hill Park Estate. The road appears on an auctioneer’s plan of 1878.
Land belonging to Putney Lodge (situated on the east side of the Hertford Road) was sold for building in 1867 [AC]. The road had been partly built by 1871 [Ce].