Built on land attached to Ridgeway Oaks which was sold for building in 1389 [AC]. The plan shows Oak Avenue. The first houses were not occupied until 1907 [K].
Plans for ten houses were submitted in 1890 [RB 20.3.1890]. The 1896 O.S. shows the road partly built.
Plans were deposited for six houses in 1890 [RB 20.3.1890]. The name was taken from Oatlands, a house on the east side of the Hertford Road marked on the 1867 O.S.
Old Forge Road
The present name dates from 1930 [K]. It derives from the former forge that stood at the junction with Forty Hill. The forge is marked on the 1867 O.S. and subsequent editions to 1914. Prior to 1930 the road does not seem to have had a name. No name appears on the O.S. maps of 1867, 1896 and 1914 nor on the auctioneer’s plan of the Bridgenhall Estate of 1868.
Old Park Avenue
The road had been laid out by 1913 [K]. It is on the line of one of the former drives to Old Park. See also Carr’s Lane.
Old Park Ridings
Part of the Grange Park Estate developed by Richard Metherell. (See The Chine.) The first houses were occupied in 1910 [K]. The area formed part of Old Park. The house survives as the Club house of Bush Hill Park Golf Club.
Old Park Road
Plans were submitted for the Old Park Estate in 1880 [RB 24.6.1880]. Old Park Road was in existence in 1806 as a private road giving access to Old Park Farm [EA]. See also Crescent Road and Waverley Road.
A section of the Hertford Road by-passed when a cut-off road was built probably C.1830. A plan for the work (undated) is in the possession of the L.B. of Enfield Libraries.
The first houses were occupied in 1906 [K]. The 1914 O.S. shows the road only partly built.
Like Lincoln Road, it has been known by a great variety of names. In 1754 it was known as Marsh Lane [TM]. In 1806 it was known as Welches Lane [EA]. This name appears on the 1867 O.S. The name Lock Lane appears on an auctioneer’s plan of 1867. An auctioneer’s plan of 1869 calls it Ordnance Factory Lane. The present name was in use by 1871 [Ce].
Plans for a pair of villas were submitted in 1889 [RB 2.5.1889]. It was almost certainly named after Queen Victoria’s house on the Isle of Wight.
The first houses were occupied in 1909 [K].