The first houses were occupied in 1909. Mafeking is a town in South Africa which stood a long siege in the Boer War. (See also Kimberley Road and Ladysmith Road.)
Plans for four houses were submitted in 1880 [RB 28.5.1880]. (See also the Avenues.)
The 1896 0.S. shows the road laid out but with no houses built. The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K].
Part of the Putney Lodge Estate which was sold for building in 1867 [AC]. The road was partly built by 1871 [Ce]. The northern end was originally known as Mandeville Crescent. The Mandevilles were lords of the Manor of Enfield after the Norman conquest.
The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K].
Created in 1632 when the parish bought a house called The Vine, the site of which was adapted as a market place. See also Vine Lane.
Shown in outline of the 1914 O.S., but not yet named. It is probably named after Sir Hiram Maxim (1840-1916), the inventor of the Maxim gun.
Plans for four houses were submitted in 1880 [RB 5.6.1890].
Probably built in the early eighteen-sixties. It is marked on the 1867 O.S. In 1867 Benjamin Medcalf was landlord of the Greyhound in Ordnance Road [K].
Meeting House Yard
A group of cottages formerly situated on the east of Baker Street adjoining the Baptist Chapel. The cottages were in a very bad state in 1850. There was no drainage whatever and some of the tenants were keeping pigs in the cottages [GBH]. This part of Baker Street has been associated with nonconformist worship since the late 17th century.
Part of the Woodlands Estate, developed from 1883. The 1896 0.S. shows the road complete. It was originally called Melville Road, but acquired its present name in 1911 [K].
The road led from Green Street to Mill Marsh. Mill Marsh was so-called in 1754 [TM].
The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K]. It was named after John Everett Millais (1829-96), an eminent painter and president of the Royal Academy. See also Landseer Road, Leighton Road and Poynter Road.
Part of the Birkbeck Estate. Plans for two houses were deposited in 1881 [RB 8.4.1881]. Possibly named after John Morley (1838-1923), a leading Liberal politician.
Part of the Birkbeck Estate. It appears on an auctioneer’s plan of 1887. The 1896 0.S. shows the road partly built.