Under construction in 1905. The first houses were occupied in 1906 [K]. Most of the road was in Edmonton.
Under construction in 1903. The first houses were occupied in 1905 [K]. Ladysmith is a town in South Africa which stood a long siege in the Boer War which ended in 1902. (See also Kimberley Road and Mafeking Road.) The road originally stretched only as far north as Sketty Road. It was extended to Carterhatch Lane in the thirties.
Part of the Beech Hill Park Estate, developed from 1882. The 1896 O.S. shows the road laid out but with no houses built. The land at Hadley Wood was formerly owned by the Duchy of Lancaster.
Originally known as New Lane [TM 1754]. It was re-named Lancaster Road by the Enfield Local Board of Health 27.10.1887. (The Duchy of Lancaster held the Manor of Enfield).
The northern end is shown on the 1914 O.S. It had not yet been named and no houses had been built.
The first houses were occupied in 1904 [K]. It was named after the painter Sir Edwin Landseer (1802-72). (See also Millais Road, Poynter Road and Leighton Road. )
Laurel Bank Road
Part of the Laurel Bank Estate. Plans were submitted in 1885 [RB 14.3.1885] by the Metropolitan Land Company. The 1896 O.S. shows the road laid out, but with no houses as yet. The name derives from Laurel Bank, a house formerly occupying the site. (See also Drake Street, Lea Street, Lynn Street and Walton Street).
The 1896 O.S. shows the road under construction with houses on the east side only.
In 1806 it was known as New Lane Road [EA]. By 1850 it was known as Lavender Hill [GBH]. An adjoining area, used for the cultivation of lavender, was known as the Lavender fields [GBH].
Part of the Birkbeck Estate. The road is marked on an auctioneer’s plan of 1887. Plans for one house were submitted in 1891 [RB 7.5.1891].
The first houses were occupied in 1904 [K].
Plans for a house in this road were rejected in 1893 because of inadequate water supply [RB 23.2.1893]. The name is probably derived from Sir Austen Henry Layard (1817-94) a distinguished archaeologist.
Part of the Laurel Bank Estate. The 1896 O.S. shows the road partly built with only a few houses at the west end.
The first houses were occupied in 1904 [K]. The road was named after Frederick, Lord Leighton (1830-96) an eminent painter and president of the Royal Academy. See also Landseer Road, Millais Road and Poynter Road.
This road has been known by more names than any other in Enfield. Alternative forms include Ayley Croft Lane [Ce 1851], Brick Kiln Lane [EA 1806], Brickfield Lane [AC 1869], Bungers Lane [TM 1752], Red Lane [AC 1847] and Joan Potter’s Lane (Teesdale Map 1842). The first and last of these are derived from the names of fields adjoining the road. It was known as Bungeys Lane in 1572 (S). The present name dates from 1870 [RB 7.10.1870]. It was originally applied only to the eastern end of the road, developed 1870-72 as part of the Lincoln House Estate. The road was officially re-named Lincoln Road – from end to end on 20th June 1888 by the Enfield Local Board of Health.
Little Park Gardens
Little Park, Gentlemans Row, was purchased in 1888 for £4000 by the Enfield Local Board of Health for use as offices. The grounds were developed as Little Park Gardens. Plans for five houses were deposited in 1888 [RB 27.9.1888].
This was formerly part of the turnpike road to London maintained by the Stamford Hill and Green Lanes Turnpike Trust. It was called London Lane in 1754 [TM]. This name was still in use in 1851 [Ce]. It had acquired its present name by 1871 [Ce]. In 1572 it was known as London Way [S].
Part of the Laurel Bank Estate. The 1896 O.S. shows the road laid out but with no houses built as yet. The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K].