Shown partially built on the 1896 O.S.
East Lodge Lane
Marked on the Enfield Chase Enclosure map of 1777. The name comes from East Lodge, a former Lodge of the Chase, which stands in the angle between East Lodge Lane and the Ridgeway. It was sometimes known as Red Lodge Lane [Ce 1871].
Marked on the 1867 O.S. It was sometimes known as East Street [Ce 1871].
The road was built on part of East Field, one of the former common fields of Enfield. Work started on laying drains in 1872 [RB 2.8.1872]. The 1896 O.S. shows houses on the north side only.
Occupied by 1899 [K].
The road was laid out in 1873 [RB 10.1.1873]. Pigot’s Directory (1839) includes a Mr. W. C. Elmore who lived at Enfield Wash.
In 1806 it was known as East Barnet Road [EA] and retained the name until 1932 when the present name was applied. The Southgate portion was re-named Bramley Road in 1934 after representations from the Post Office. (The Bramley family farmed at West Pole Farm). The road was also sometimes known as Chase Road [Ce 1851].
Part of the Enfield New Town development commenced in 1853. See Cecil Road. EVAN’S YARD A group of cottages situated off Baker Street near the Hop Poles [Ce 1851]. The cottages, owned by Ebenezer Gibbons, were reported to be in an advanced state of decay in 1877 [RB 6.7.1877]. The name probably commemorated a former owner.