So-called on the Enfield Chase Enclosure Map of 1777. The name derives from Camlet Moat which lies to the south of Hadley Road. The western end of Camlet Way near Hadley Common was sometimes referred to as Hadley Gate [Ce 1851].
Shown partly built on the 1896 0.S. The site was previously occupied by the Cannon Brewery.
The name derives from William Carr, an early 19th century owner of Chase Park,- a house formerly standing to the south of Windmill Hill. It formed part of the drive to Old Park from the foot of Windmill Hill. See also Old Park Avenue.
‘Hatch’ clearly refers to a former gate. The road was also known as Potash Lane and is so-called in an auctioneer’s catalogue of 1787. A Potash House is marked on Rocque’s map of Middlesex (1754). In 1572 it was known by its present name, but was, also known as Syms Lane [S].
Plans for twelve houses were deposited in 1890 [RB 8.5.1890]. The 1896 0.S. shows the road laid out but with only a few houses at the Hertford Road end. It partly follows the alignment of an early road called Pigot’s Lane [TM 1754]. This, from being a fully fledged road, had degenerated into a farm track by 1867.
This road is mostly in East Barnet. The present name derives from the Cat P.H. which formerly stood at the foot of the hill. It was sometimes known as Belmont Road [RB 7.3.1876]. Belmont was a large house standing in the angle between Cat Hill and Cockfosters Road.
Plans were submitted for two houses in 1891 [RB 30.4.1891].
The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K].
So-called in the Enclosure Award of 1806. The name derives from Cattle Gate, a former gate to Enfield Chase, situated at the junction of Cattlegate Road and Cooper’s Lane Road. The gate derived its name from Cathale Priory, an obscure religious foundation on the border between Enfield and Northaw. (See East Herts. Archaeological Society Trans., Vol VI, pp. 90-7). The eastern end of the road was sometimes known as Crews Hill [OS 1867].
Originally in Enfield but transferred to Potters Bar in 1924. The name was in use in the eighteen-seventies [RB 27.2.1872]. The name suggests that the roadway was raised to prevent flooding. The area certainly suffered from bad drainage. The road was sometimes known as Chequers Lane [K1924] from the Chequers P.H. See also Cooper’s Lane.
The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K].
Part of the Enfield New Town development. The National Freehold Land Society bought the land in 1852 and commenced building a year later [AC]. All the streets were named after Elizabethan worthies. (See also Essex Road, Raleigh Road and Sydney Road). Cecil Road originally comprised the section between London Road and Raleigh Road. The section between Raleigh Road and Church Street was proposed in 1900 [AC]. and laid out by 1901 [K]. It was originally intended to name the section between Church Street and the Town Park gates, Chase Side Avenue [AC 1900].
The road was laid out by 1907 [K]. The 1914 O.S. shows the road with no houses yet built. It was originally called Cedar Road.
Originally called Cemetery Road. Lavender Hill Cemetery was opened in 1872. A building notice was submitted for some cottages in 1879 [RB 25.7.1879].
Cedar Park Road
Part of the Cedars Estate, built on land formerly belonging to a large house called the Cedars on Brigadier Hill. Work commenced about 1888 when a water main was laid [RB 27.9.1888]. The 1896 O.S. shows the road only partly built.
Marked on the 1777 Chase Enclosure Map, but not named. The name appears on the 1867 O.S. The origin of the name is obscure as the subsoil consists of clay and gravel, but no chalk.
Formerly known as Love’s Row. It was a very unhealthy neighbourhood suffering from bad drainage and water supply [GBH 1850]. There was an outbreak of cholera here in 1866.
Part of the Cardigan Estate. Plans for twenty houses were submitted in 1892 [RB 18.2.1892].
Chase Court Gardens
The first houses were occupied in 1909 [K]. The name derives from Chase Court, a house formerly standing in Chase Hill.
Chase Green Avenue
Plans for a house were submitted in 1881 [RB 2.6.1881]. In 1888 some building plots were sold [AC].
This was originally a more important road than today, stretching right through to Chase Green. The eastern end was obliterated by the Cuffley extension of the Great Northern Railway, opened in 1910. It was sometimes known as Harrison’s Lane [RB 8.4.1886]. Daniel Harrison, J.P. (1801-73) lived at Chase Hill House.
Part of the Uplands Park Estate. A water main was laid in 1885 [RB 2.1.1885]. The 1896 O.S. shows houses at the Slades Hill end.
So-called because it formed the eastern boundary of Enfield Chase. (Chase Side, Southgate formed part of the western boundary). The northern end was sometimes known as the Holly Bush after the public house of that name [GBH and Ce. 1851]. In 1572 it was known as Little Woodside (S).
Chase Side Crescent
Formerly known as Union Road [RB 7.3.1876] and Infirmary Road [K 1914]. Both these names reflect the Poor Law origins of St. Michael’s Hospital.
First occupied in 1909 [K].
Contemporary with the school, opened in January 1897.
The first houses were occupied in 1903 [K].
Part of the Grange Park Estate. The developer was Richard Metherell who lived at Elmscott on Bush Hill. The first houses in the Chine were advertised in the Southgate Recorder, June 1908. The name strongly suggests that Metherell may have spent his holidays in Bournemouth.
So-called in 1841 [Ce]. It is marked on the Enclosure Award Map of 1806. It adjoins St. Andrew’s Churchyard and Vicarage.
The first houses were occupied in 1901 [K]. The name reflects the close proximity of St. Matthew’s Church, built in 1878.
This road was sometimes included as part of the Town [Ce 1851]. It was sometimes referred to as High Street [RB 9.6.1870 and Ce. 1871]. The present name reflects the proximity of St. Andrew’s Church.
Made up from an old field track [EA 1806]. The name derives from Churchbury Field which adjoined it on the west. An alternative name was Cherry Orchard Lane, deriving from the orchards that formerly lined the road.
Formerly known as Back Lane [RB 12.10.1893]. A building notice for three cottages was lodged in 1879 [RB 18.12.1879].
Under construction 1905. First houses occupied in 1906 [K]. Probably named after Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence, the elder son of King Edward VII, who died in 1892.
So-called on the 1754 Tithe Map. The name was in use in 1572 [S]. The portion adjoining the Rose and Crown was also known as Bridge Street [S]. This name was still occasionally used in legal documents as late at the early 19th century.
The first houses were occupied in 1903 [K]. Probably named after Lord Clive, the conqueror of Bengal.
Originally known as Shepherd Road [K 1911]. Re-named Clive Way by 1914 [K].
So-called on the 1896 O.S. It was sometimes known as Southgate Road [RB 8.11.1872]. It originally stretched as far south as the junction with Green Road. In 1935 Southgate Council re-named the stretch between Green Road and Cat Hill, incorporating it into Chase Side. (This area had been transferred from Enfield to Southgate in 1934). The change of name was carried out under pressure from the Post Office.
The first houses were occupied in 1910 [K].
The 1896 O.S. shows the road in outline. It was occupied by 1899 [K].
Built by 1909 [K]. Originally called Commercial Road.
So-called in 1851 [Ce]. The name obviously derives from the distinctive shape of this corner of Chase Green.
Six houses were under construction in 1889 [RB 30.5.1889]. The Connop family were major landowners in East Enfield in the early 19th century.
Prior to 1924 this road was partly in Northaw and partly in Enfield. In that year the Enfield portion was transferred to Potters Bar. The road is marked on Morden’s Map of Middlesex (1695) under its present name. The area near the Chequers P.H. contained some very insanitary cottages [RB 19.8.1880].
Cooper’s Lane Road
Marked but not named on the Enfield Chase Enclosure Map of 1777. It had acquired its present name by 1806 [EA]. At its southern end it links up with Cooper’s Lane.
The first houses were occupied in 1909 [K].
Crescent East And Crescent West
Originally called Crescent Road. A building lease was granted by the Duchy of Lancaster in 1882. Hadley Wood Station was opened in 1885. It had been divided into Crescent East and Crescent West by 1911 [K].
Part of the Old Park Estate. Plans were submitted in 1880 [RB 24.6.1880]. See also Old Park Road and Waverley Road.
A row of cottages situated off the west side of Baker Street, south of the junction with Lancaster Road. The cottages belonged to Ebenezer Gibbons (See Baxter’s Yard). Water was laid on to the cottages in 1879 [RB 30.5.1879]. They were demolished in 1961.
In existence by 1904 [K].
Part of the Bycullah Estate which was developed from 1878. It was named after Mr. Culloden Rowan, the developer. See Bycullah Road.