So-called in 1754 [TM] However Rocque’s map of Middlesex, also of 1754, calls it Beaker Street. It was known as Bakers Street in 1572 [S]. There is also a Baker Street in Potters Bar.
Called Windsor Road on the 1896 0.S. The present name derives from Bartram Quash, a nearby patch of woodland.
The present name was acquired in 1909 [K]. It derives from Jonathan William Battley who lived at Laurel Bank on the South side of Lancaster Road [K1867]. It was previously known as Blossom’s Alley. In 1850 the only sanitation was in the form of an open ditch [GBH] The name of Blossom probably derives from Robert Blossom, the first of the four husbands of Agnes Myddleton who founded a chantry in St. Andrew’s Church in 1471. The chantry foundation later developed into Enfield Grammar School.
A group of cottages situated off Baker Street probably somewhere in the Gordon Road/Churchbury Road area. In 1870 they were reported to be in an advanced stage of dilapidation. They were owned by Ebenezer Gibbons. [RB 23.9.1870]. One Henry Baxter was in business as a grocer and cheesemonger in Baker Street in 1845 [K].
The first houses were occupied in 1902 [K]. The portion between Rotherfield and Uckfield Roads was first occupied in 1904 and until 1909 was known as Heathfield Road [K]. The Ordnance Road end is very much older. It is marked on the 1867 0.S. and was called Alma Road. The name suggests a date of C. 1855. Most of the roads in this vicinity have names ending in ‘field’. See also Catisfield Road, Rotherfield Road, Titchfield Road, Uckfield Road and Chesterfield Road.
This road was in existence by 1887 when it was reported to be suffering from inadequate drainage [RB 23.6.1887]. It is marked on the 1896 O.S.
The name derives from Beech Hill Park whose northern boundary it forms. The road was called Beech Hill in 1851 [Ce]. The names Beech Hill and Camlet Way were used indiscriminately.
Originated as a cart track giving access to Eastfield from the Hertford Road. Houses had been built by 1871 [Ce]. In 1878 drainage problems gave rise to insanitary conditions [RB 22.11.1878]. The name derives from the adjacent Bell P.H. It was sometimes called Bell Road.
The 1896 O.S. shows the road laid out but still un-named and with no houses. The first houses were occupied in 1903 [K]. The name derives from the Old Bell P.H. in Baker Street.
Built 1914 [K]. An unusually uninspired piece of naming.
Shown, partly built, on the 1896 0.S.
The Birkbeck Estate was developed by the Birkbeck Freehold Land Society. General plans were submitted in 1878 [RB 6.12.1878]. Plans for houses in Birkbeck Road were submitted in 1880 [RB 13.5.1880]. The road is shown partly built on the 1896 O.S. There were problems with jerry-building on this estate.
A group of cottages situated on the west side of Baker Street near Churchbury Road. The cottages were regarded as a health hazard in 1850 [GBH]. In 1872 they were condemned by the Enfield Local Board of Health [RB 28.3.1872]. The name probably commemorated a former owner.
The name appears on Greenwood’s map of Middlesex (1829). The settlement grew up after the enclosure of Enfield Chase in 1777. The name is obviously an ironic allusion to its remote situation. (Botany Bay, Australia, was discovered by Captain Cook in 1770 and the convict settlement was founded in 1788).
Plans were submitted in 1878 [RB 18.1.1878]. The developer was a Mr. Henry Bradley of no 51, Bishopsgate. Whatever else Mr. Bradley may have been, no-one can accuse him of being self-effacing.
Laid out by 1909 (K). but no houses had been built by 1914 (0.S.). The area was not built up until after World War I. See also Aberdare Road, Glyn Road and Swansea Road.
So-called on the 1867 O.S. It is mentioned (but not named) in the Enclosure Award of 1809. The name is a reminder of the many brickworks formerly in East Enfield.
Plans were submitted in 1878 for two villas to be built in what was then known as Bridgen Road [RB 16.8.1878]. The road appears on the 1896 O.S. under the name of Morley Road. It had acquired its present name by 1899 [K]. The name derives from Bridgen Hall which stands at the junction of Russell Road and Hallside Road. It was the home of William Bridgen, Lord Mayor of London in 1764.
The road was under construction in 1907 and the first houses were occupied by 1908. [K]
The name was in use by 1850 [GBH and C.1851]. The name was sometimes applied to parts of Phipps Hatch Lane and Cocker Lane. Brigadier Hill House occupied the site of St. Luke’s Church (U.S. 1867). In 1722 a Brigadier Franks was living in a house on Enfield Chase (P.R.O.: DL9/22).
First occupied in 1899 [K]. The name of Brimsdown/Grimsdown derives from a field formerly situated to the north of Green Street.
Part of the Cedars Estate. Plans for two houses were submitted in 1888 [RB 6.6.1888].
Formerly known as Cocker Lane. This name appears on the 1754 Tithe Map and on the 1777 Chase Enclosure Map. The name Browning Road was in use by 1892 [RB 2.6.1892]. It derives from the family of one Richard Browning who lived on Brigadier Hill [K1845]. The name Browning was originally only applied to the section between Lancaster Road and Phipps Hatch Lane. The section between Phipps Hatch and Clay Hill retained the name Cocker Lane until 1908 [K].
So-called in 1754 [TM]. The name probably derives from a former wayside cross. It was known as Bulls Cross Lane in 1572 [S]
Called Belsmoor Lane in 1754 [TM]
Part of the Moat House Estate bought by the Conservative Land Society C.1854. The road had been laid out by 1867 [OS]. The first houses were not occupied until 1901 [K]. See also Queens Road and Stanley Road.
Part of the Woodlands Estate. Plans for eighteen cottages were deposited in 1883 [RB 2.3.1883].
The Bycullah Estate developed from 1878. Bycullah Avenue is marked on an auctioneer’s plan of 1888. It is possibly the road referred to in 1880 as Avenue Road [RB 13.5.1880].
The first plans for the Bycullah Estate were deposited in 1878 [RB 1.11.1878]. The developer was Mr. Culloden Rowan. (See Rowantree Road and Culloden Road). The name derives from Bycullah House, part of whose grounds it once formed. Bycullah is a suburb of Bombay. Col.J. R. Riddell who died at Bycullah House in 1825 was a former Indian Army officer.