Christ Church United Reformed Church Chase Side, Enfield

This article by Stephen Gilburt was first published by The Enfield Society in newsletter 175, Autumn 2009.

The Grade II listed Victorian Gothic church was opened in 1875 on the site of Zion Chapel (built in 1780), whose members had agreed to unite with the members of the adjoining Chase Side Chapel (rebuilt in 1830).

Christ Church is faced with Kentish ragstone on the outside and Bath stone on the inside. The reredos on the apse wall is a stone relief copy of Leonardo da Vinci’s painting of the Last Supper. Late 19th century memorial stained glass windows represent Christ the Saviour and the Good Shepherd, the four gospel writers, Peter and Paul, three 1st century Christian deacons and three Christian virtues.

For more information telephone 020 8363 0031 or 020 8363 4571, or visit www.christchurchenfield.org.uk.

Illustration 1. Chase Side Chapel (1830) and Zion Chapel (1780) in the mid-19th century.
Illustration 2. Christ Church (1874–5, extended 1885) seen from the west.
Illustration 3. Stained glass window representing, from the left, Belief, Charity and Hope.
Illustration 4. Interior at Harvest Festival looking towards the apse.
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.