The Enfield Society  - Suggestions for Local Listing

[Click on “Photo” to get a link to a photo on the Society’s website]

Address                                Suggested by                 Comments                              

                             

Avenue Road  Southgate – 2  (the Swiss House)

RS

Nice early c19 villa of a style rare in this area     Photo

Batley Road, EN2 0JG - The Wonder Pub

CC

Public House with traditional features inside and out eg bench seating Photo

Baker Street, 168  EN1 - Jolly Butchers,

SG

Interesting public house Photo

Bramley Road – Eastpole Cottages

RS

c19 farm cottages at the edge of the green belt   Photo

Bullsmoor Lane, EN1, Bulls Cross - open space

 CC

Burnt Farm Ride, EN2. Cottages

MC

Former agricultural workers' cottages.  Photo

Bush Hill Cottage

MW

Photo

Bush Hill - 23, Green Ridges

MW

Photo

Craddock Road - Craddock House

TD

Previously known as Bury Farm (1929 Kelly directory) name changed by 1952 to Craddock House. Rare survival of a farmhouse in built-up Enfield. Occupied by Alfred Bath, described as a market gardener, who was on County Council - more biographical details available. Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3

East Duck Lane - Ediswan building

 

SG

The former Ediswan factory general office block of 1890: occupies part of a site associated with Sir Joseph Swan (1828-1914), inventor of the incandescent electric lamp, Sir James Dewar(1842-1923), inventor of the vacuum flask, and Professor Ambrose Fleming (1849-1945), inventor of the diode radio valve. Photo

East Lodge Lane  - Prefab church

[At junction with The Ridgeway]

Prefabricated chapel - a local landmark and focus of the hamlet of Botany Bay. There have been dissenter places of worship on this site since the mid nineteenth century. Photo

Fountain at the Town, - opposite the Market Place

CC

Erected 1884. Photo

Hadley Road, Vicarage farmhouse.

MC

 Photo  A former Victorian farm house. In my opinion the property should be added to the be listed, as a rare surviving example of such a property within the Greater London area. - Mick Coe

[Farm Cottages 1 and 2 are currently on local list.]

Hertford Road, no.447-465.

MC

A much altered collection of early Victorian cottages from the area's agricultural past before eastern Enfield was industrialised. - Mick Coe  Photo

Hertford Road, no.706. St George's Church: vicarage.

MC

St George's church and adjoining vicarage at Hertford Road, Freezywater are an island of interest in an otherwise dull mix of predominantly standard Victorian and inter-war housing. - Mick Coe  Photo

Gentlemans Row - no.2

JMQ

(attached to no. 4 which is already on local list.) Photo (of 2 and 4)

Slades Hill - 82

RS

Nineteenth century cottage and workshop, a survival of the settlement at Frogs Bottom which preceded suburban development. Photo

St Marks Road, Bush Hill Park: Bush Hill Park Hotel

DC

The Victorian Bush Hill Park Hotel was built in 1896 as part of a suburban estate and reflects the architecture of the adjacent Great Eastern Railway station.  The Bush Hill Park Hotel provided a social hub for the artisans residing in the terraced housing on the East side of the railway line. It is a lovely building complete with function room and beer garden and externally retains its Victorian charm.

Trent Park, Trent Park Campus, Victorian Post Box 

Tony Hillman

[Can be found on left hand side of the entrance from road round the daffodil lawn] 

Rare example of a Victorian post box still in use in the area. photo

Wellington Road, Dryden Road, Queen Annes Gardens and Queen Annes Place – verges

Dennis Stacey, Bush Hill Park Study Group

Their breadth and scale, planted with century old lime trees, make them unique in the Borough

Windmill Hill - Enfield Chase Station

DC

Enfield Chase Station is fine example of an Edwardian railway station that survives with little structural alteration since opening in 1910. The generously canopied timbered platforms and yellow stock brick platform buildings are complete and in use. It is of a similar design to the GNR's  station, built in an arts and crafts style in 1912, at Letchworth Garden City which is grade two listed. Photo 1  Photo 2  Photo 3  Photo 4 

Whitewebbs Road. Pumping station cottages. 

 

 MC

 

Two cottages which adjoin the former pumping station. In my opinion the cottages enhance this locally listed structure. Mick Coe  Photo